Saturday, May 22, 2010

Maria, Oh Maria!

Mua on da way to the West!!

After class, I went home to get ready for the night out with my parents^^

We left home at 7pm and reached Istana Budaya at around 8pm.. We collected out tickets and voila! We're finally going to watch the musical!! woooooott!!


Then, we had to wait for the doors to open.. Everyone hanged around and bought some snacks..while I took pictures with my dainty little phone.. ha ha..sorry folks.. no DSLR or any fancy camera yea =S



Not to forget..the signature toilet pose.. haha=P


At around 8:30pm, the doors opened and we all went to our respective seats.. The leg space was pretty tiny unfortunately.. It was worse for the white guy who was sitting next to me.. His legs could hardly move.. Hmm.. they should really upgrade the seats if they can afford it.. I heard quite a lot of people complaining about their seats dy.. 

Anyway, when the live orchestra started playing, I got really really really excited!! I knew most of the songs by heart because I've watched it since I was young and performed parts of the musical before in a performance when I was younger.. =D

However, as the show continued.. Around the end of the 1st part, people were starting to get restless.. Somehow, it was getting boring.. I'm not sure if it's because of the boring script; the familiarity of the whole plot; the lead singers; or the fact that we couldn't really catch what they were saying in the musical..(I'm not saying that they are all those I mentioned, they're just some possibilities why the musical gradually became boring) We couldn't wait for the break time to come..

After the break, the couple who was sitting beside me was missing and some people behind were missing too.. I'm not sure if they went home or they sneaked into the other floor with better seats below because a lot of the seats below were not occupied and the security did not check our tickets when we entered.. So, actually, anyone can enter just like that.. My gosh..

The 2nd half of the musical got a bit better because the songs were catchy.. However, the thing I didn't like about the musical was the main character who was playing Maria.. In my opinion, her voice is too mature for her character.. It sounds more like an older woman singing rather than a young girl singing.. So, throughout the musical, I really had problems with her voice because it disappointed me over and over again whenever she started singing.. It's not that her singing was bad, it's just that the tone of her voice did not suit the character well.. I've seen the original movie and the original singer's wayyyyyyy better and more suitable for the character.. So, yea... 

The other characters in the musical were awesome.. The guys are so hot and the girls sizzling!! They danced really really well too.. All the dancers were phenomenal and most of them could sing really well too!! Great, great job=D *clap clap*

The ending of the musical was a sad one because the lead guy character got murdered but it was expected..Overall, it was not as good as I expected it to be.. My mom was disappointed and I heard quite a few complains from other people as well.. The response from the audience during the curtain call wasn't something to be bragged either.. Their claps were quite half-hearted and I did not really see anyone giving a standing ovation clap... I'm really quite disappointed.. Boo-hoo=(

Anyway, I'm looking forward to future musicals... Currently, the best I've seen so far was Cats, Chicago, Phantom of the Opera and Annie.. I still have a lot more musicals to conquer!! My current favorite is definitely Cats, I can watch it over and over again.. It's brilliant.. Anyway, that's about it for now..

Good job to all the casts and crews for West Side Story!! You guys worked really hard however it can certainly be better.. Just change a few things here and there and voila, perfecto^^

Nite Nite Ppl!

Toodles!

xoxo


No comments: